No one’s asked me yet whether I rode an elephant to school back in India, but I have encountered quite a few other questions. I’ve been amused by most and offended by none and I can never seem to answer any to my satisfaction. Can someone help?
- Is Bombay really like they show it in Slumdog Millionaire?
- Did you like Slumdog Millionaire?
- Is Patel a really common name in India?
- Are there really cows on the streets? Why?
- What language do you speak in India?
- Was Gandhi really popular?
- Did you have an arranged marriage? Really? Why?
- What do India and Pakistan fight over?
- Have you heard of <insert name of famous American Person> in India?
- Why are Bollywood movies so sentimental?
And the most priceless of all, “If you’ve been in the US for just 6 months, how come you speak such good English?”